Inhale, Exhale, Relax.
The holidays are stressful but, unfortunately, stress is not isolated to the holidays. Every day necessities like work, school, and your kids' schedules are also stressful - along with a slew of other activities (or people). Stress is not only harmful to your immune system, if it gets to be too much you may bubble over and affect those closest to you. That is why it is vitally important to take time to refocus your energy, relax, and de-stress. Today, we have tips on how to unwind. Check them out and adopt one, or all, of these methods of relaxation!
1. Sip Tea - Drinking a low or no-caffeine tea is a great option when you need to pause. Caffeine will stimulate your mind and may cause more stress so sip green or herbal teas which have low, or no caffeine. You can even try trading in one cup of coffee a day for T.K.O. Tea. T.K.O. Tea is the perfect option because not only will it relax you, it will also curb your appetite - helping you reach your goals while relaxing.
2. Meditate - Meditation has been used for centuries as a way to slow down, relax, focus, and reconnect. Try this simple meditation:
- Sit in a comfortable position (even in a chair)
- Close your eyes
- Place a hand on your heart
- Take a deep inhale, focusing on your chest rising
- Hold breath for 1-3 seconds
- Slowly exhale
3. Go for a Walk - Another common cure for stress and anxiety is walking. When you feel like burst, take a few paces. Instead of thinking about whats awaiting you later or what may have you stressed, sing a favorite song. It is vital to disconnect your self from stress for a few minutes. You will always have things to do and things to worry over, but you won't always have time for a walk.
4. Bump Up Your Workout - Okay, this goes with walking but sometimes you need something a little more vigorous. Check out a group exercise class filled with high powered cardio. The Lean 180 30 Day Challenge is also a great option because you use body weight exercises to build muscle and increase heart rate. Bumping up your workout is a great way to increase endorphins (the "feel good" hormones) leading to better relaxation.
5. Have Some Chocolate - Can anyone argue that does not have a calming effect? Exactly! Instead of reaching for a candy bar have one square of dark chocolate or a Muscle MixShake. Having a chocolaty protein blend like Skinny Blend will not only calm your nerves, it will curb your appetite; preventing binges which can happen when eating chocolate squares.
6. Stretch - Overwhelmed by work or e-mails? Stand up and stretch! Even something as simple as reaching your hands overhead and leaning side to side or twisting a few times can make a world of difference!